Where to Place Website Ads
I’ve previously written about the different types of website advertisements available out there. So , once you’ve gone through the different types of ads and decided which ones will work best on your specific website , it’s time to decide WHERE you want to place these advertisements. You can have the best advertising possible , but it these ads are not seen by anybody , then the whole point of having ads is basically lost.
- High as possible – The basic rule of thumb : Higher = Better.
- Top of Sidebar – Top-Right is best , but if your sidebar is on the left , then top-left.
- Top of Post – People need to start reading from the top , so they’ll definitely see it at the beginning of a post.
- Within Post – The reader has to read through your post and will see ads within a post. This could easily annoy your reader though. (Banner ads or in-text advertising can be used)
- Bottom of Post – When done reading your post , the reader starts looking for somewhere else to go….
- Keep it Simple! – Overdoing it with hundreds of ads will in the end irritate your readers.
The basic principle is to rather think about where to place quality ads, instead of adding so many ads that your readers stop coming to your website! Experimentation with different ad placements within your website is highly recommended , as you can then see where ads perform best on your specific website. I recommend a minimum of 14 days for experimentation , as less than that might not be sufficient time to assess the success of a particular ad placement.
- Above the fold Tool – This Google AdSense tool simply asks you to insert a URL link and it will then show you where the optimum ad placement will be. Check it out here : http://as-abovethefold.appspot.com/
- Heat map Tools – A heat map tracker basically tracks the most popular places on your webpages , according to mouse movements from your readers. CrazyEgg.com is one of the most famous premium services available. If you use WordPress , there are also various heat map plugins available.
- E Formation – As can be seen from the above picture the strongest and best performing ad placements are generally in the form of the letter E.
Whatever you do, always remember that ad placements should always take your reader’s needs into account first. Obviously you want your reader to see your advertisement , but you don’t want to overdo it in such a way that you chase the reader away in the process. Once again experimentation makes perfect and only you will be able to determine what works best on you specific website.