Creating a simple WordPress Favicon
A favicon is the small little picture displayed on the top left corner of your website and helps you build a brand and recognition for your website.
You have 2 options when changing your Favicon ,namely:
A) Installing via a Plugin :
- Install the plugin All in one Favicon.
- Go to settings of WordPress and Upload a .ico , .png or .gif image to the “All in One Favicon” tab.
B) The Manual Method:
Creating Favicon.ico :
A favicon can be easily created using any graphic program that will allow saving of .ico graphic files, such as GIMP.Alternatively you can also use online services that will allow you to create a favicon for free. 2 Websites with free favicon creation tools: favicon.co.uk and dynamic drive.
To prepare the image to be saved as favicon.ico:
- Make image square by cropping or adding space.
- Resize the image to 16 x 16 pixels.
- Save the file as favicon.ico to your computer.
Installing Favicon on WordPress Site:
If there is already an old favicon.ico file in your current theme’s folder, delete it using a FTP Client such as Filezilla.
- With a FTP Client, upload the new favicon.ico file into your current theme’s main folder.
- Upload another copy of your favicon.ico file to the main directory of your site (ie. http://example.com/favicon.ico).
In order for your favicon to show up in some older browsers, you will need to edit your page header.
- Go to your WordPress Administration Panel.
- Click on Design ,under Appearance in WordPress 2.7+).
- Click on Theme Editor.
- Select the file called header.php or Header to edit the file.
- Search for the line of code that begins with <link rel="shortcut icon" and ends with /favicon.ico" />. Overwrite it, if it exists, or add the following code below the <head>HTML tag.
bloginfo('stylesheet_directory'); ?>/favicon.ico" />
- Save the changes.
From personal experience changes sometimes take a couple of hours to take effect due to website caching , so be patient. Hope this helps in you to create a more visible website on the world wide web….