Adsense Channels Explained
Google Adsense gives the owners of blogs and websites the opportunity to monetize their websites/blogs by placing advertisements on them. Most people are familiar with the process of placing Adsense advertisements on their websites , but remain unclear of how to track earnings from these ads.
Well , I believe that it is really important to be able to know exactly which ads are doing well and which are not! Things that are important when running an Adsense campaign are:
- Which ads are doing well.
- Which individual pages are doing well.
- Which of the placements on the webpages are doing the best.
To give blog/website owners the opportunity to track earnings from ad campaigns Google created something called “channels”. There are 2 types of channels , namely:
- Custom Channels – Track individual ad units.
- URL Channels – Track single webpages or entire websites (good if you have more than one website)
Creating a Custom Channel:
- Log into your Adsense Account
- Click on “My Ads”
- Select “Custom channel”
- Select “New Custom Channel”
- Name your channel whatever you like and add individual ad units that you want to track.
- Select “Targeting” at the bottom of the page and tell advertisers where the ad will be placed. ( Example: Homepage , Top Right.
- Ad a short description of your website/webpage.
- Select the language of your webpage.
Targeting gives the advertisers the opportunity to be more specific with which ads are placed on your website and it’s unbelievably important to ensure that only Relevant advertisements are placed on your website.
Where Custom channels track ads , URL channels track specific pages. This is crucial as your are able to know which of your website’s webpages are doing the best in terms of ad revenue. URL channels also give you the opportunity to track entire websites , which is pretty handy when you run more than one website/blog.
When you want to see how these ads are performing ,use the “Performance reports” tab within your Adsense account. This gives you the opportunity to differentiate between different ad units and ad pages. (Bear in mind that this might take up to 24 hours after first setup to show up within your Adsense account.)
This tracking of individual ad units are extremely important in Adsense Optimization ,simply because unless you know what is performing and how well, it will be impossible to improve the performance of your website. So be sure to make use of this great tracking tool , as provided by Google Adsense.